Topic: how this works

hello,
I am new to chillispot and freeradius. I am trying to understand how these are working, I took over for someone who left for greener pastures, and did not document that well. I have a chillispot server set for dhcp and then an external freeradius server, with a mysql backend for authentication. When a wireless user connects chillispot automatically hands out and ip address to the user.(right) But since they are unathenticated user they are redirected to hotspoplogin.cgi webpage which asks the for the username and password. This is sent to the external freeradius server to be authenticated to the mysql database, if the user exists in the database, it then sends and access-accept messege to the chillispot server.(is this correct?) Then the user is then allowed onto the internet for allowed time set in the database. So the wireless user is never actually connected to the freeradius server ever then, right? So is chillispot the server that allows the user onto the internet then? Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,
slack

Re: how this works

Hi dmkhn,s t
Thanks for the reply, I have made change to the mysql database on the  free radius, so that wireless is available for a longer period of time. But when I log on as a wireless client, at the time when the original time was set in the mysql database. I get kicked off 15 minutes before that time, it seems like that I am missing somehwere else that it is set for the wireless times to be available from. I am trying to narrow down where this could be set at. That hotspotlogin.cgi script is saying go to the mysql database and look at the what day it is and check the time. If it is that day then allow the wireless client on to the internet. So after that is done and the client is allowed on the internet, then how does chillispot know when to kick the client off the internet. Since the client is never connected to the freeradius server. How does chillispot know that at a certain time to kick them off the internet? Is there something somehwere on chillispot that is so you can configure your  wireless clients access times to the internet?
Thanks