Topic: Free hostpost with registration

Hi,

We are a university student club, we have an internet connection in our meeting location outside the university that has an internet connection. We want to share this connection with students with certain requirements:

1- Splash screen when a user tries to browse the internet
2- A registration screen with our custom fields (collage, student ID .. etc)
3- Usage reports
4- If possible, we don't want students to register with phony names, probably we restrict using MAC address?

Extra functions that's considered "nice to have":
- Bandwidth limiting
- Authenticating through Windows AD backend.
- block P2P, bittorrent .. etc

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 (edited by simplywifi 2008-03-19 21:21:50)

Re: Free hostpost with registration

go looking at google for daloradius, i have adopted this on 2 sites, and 2 seperate radius servers and have found it very good.

if you find an answer of manage to compile l7-filter ( iptables ) then let me know, blocking p2p is essential as it can crash iptables with 30 users at the same time. and kill the server until a reboot.. .

setup freeradius with ldap support or IAS on 2003/whatever MS server for Radius features to work with AD....

As simplywifi mentioned daloRADIUS would be your ideal solution for complete management.
Luckily for you it also provides customized templates for the Captive Portal page as well Signup web pages
for those cases where you'd like to provide users with online registration to your hotspot deployment.

Reference for Captive Portal and Signup pages: http://daloradius.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/daloradius/trunk/contrib/chilli/

Reference to daloRADIUS:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/daloradius

Regards,
Liran Tal.

i have compiled ipp2p now and i have binary for debian 4 etch, centos 4.5 and ubuntu it kills p2p just about in its tracks, put this with daloradius and you have a wonderfull solution.

The issue of P2P has been over emphasized. but the problem there is that ipp2p or rope only block few packets but does not fullt stop it from working. The best solution is to use linux tc to shape traffic.

Hello

To block P2P protocols I have used the following commands in Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt v24 sp1

iptables -I FORWARD -m ipp2p --ipp2p -j DROP
iptables -I OUTPUT -m ipp2p --ipp2p -j DROP
iptables -I INPUT -m ipp2p --ipp2p -j DROP

In startup and firewall