Topic: Wireless Repeaters and DHCP and duplicate IP addresses.

I have had an implimentation of Chillispot running quite well for some time.

Recently I have tried to extend the range of a wireless hotspot with a wireless repeater. See http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge for how I set up the repeater.

I have been able to log on BUT the chillispot DHCP server uses the repeaters MAC to hand out the IP address, not the final clients computer.
If I disable chillispot and use dhcpcd as the server, it works OK.

PLEASE HELP

Scott.

Re: Wireless Repeaters and DHCP and duplicate IP addresses.

To make this work you must only let Chillispot hand out IP-addresses, no other DHCP servers must exist. You must also use WDS.

3 (edited by breed 2008-03-01 22:43:51)

Re: Wireless Repeaters and DHCP and duplicate IP addresses.

If you are using a wireless router and connecting your client by ethernet (as depicted in the reference image), is the ethernet plugged into the LAN or WAN port? I only have success with the LAN ports (you should be able to tweak this with VLANs or by modifying your network scripts)

...According to the link you provided, 'assign WAN port to SWITCH' is optional, but the picture indicates you should check it -- but I it probably only matters if you use the WAN port to connect to your client;

=================

I'm using x-wrt on linksys wrt54gl and have been able to get both WDS and Client mode to work with chillispot. I can't tell why your setup does not work, but like ajauberg mentions, you need to ensure that DHCP service is turned off on the repeater and that chillispot is the only device handing out IPs.

A couple of other things you can check:
1. Are you certain that the repeater's firewall is off?
2. I put the chillispot router and repeater on the same subnet, but a different subnet from the chillispot software.